Rwandan accused of genocide held in Bergen

Posted: May 5, 2011 in News
Tags: , ,

May 5, 2011

A 45 year-old man arrested in Bergen, west Norway, is believed to have been guilty of crimes as part of the Rwandan genocide in 1994.

Rwandan authorities allege that the Rwandan man, who came to Norway in 2002, was a well-known member of the Kibungo militia, which committed a number of atrocities during the genocide. He has been living in Bergen with his wife and children.

The Norwegian police became interested in the man when Rwandan authorities sent information to the country on a number of suspects that are believed to be in Norway.

Marit Formo of Kripos, the Norwegian police’s serious and organized crime division, told newspaper Aftenposten that “an investigation has been ongoing since 2007, both in Norway and Rwanda.” Formo said that the man had been arrested now “after a concrete evaluation of the case as it stands,” which suggested that there was “a danger of evidence tampering and withholding.” If charged, the man will come before a court in Norway.

John Bosco Siboyintore, who works for the Rwandan authority tasked with finding those suspected of crimes against humanity in 1994, confirmed to Aftenposten that the country “gave the Norwegian police evidence that they have now used in order to arrest him.”

The man’s lawyer, Harald Stabell, would not comment to Aftenposten beyond stating that his client “denies guilt on these charges.”

Source: http://www.newsinenglish.no/2011/05/05/rwandan-genocide-accused-held-in-bergen/

Advertisements

Comments are closed.